The stillbirthday doula supports families:
- experiencing birth
- enduring bereavement
- facing any event where birth & bereavement may meet
This means, that while there may be insufficient recognition of bereavement support from a traditional birth doula, the reverse is absolutely not true: knowing how to support in bereavement well, the stillbirthday doula also supports families well during birth.
Our stillbirthday doulas know this as second nature:
stillbirthday doulas, are birth doulas
Stillbirthday doulas (SBD® Doulas) can support families experiencing:
- birth in any trimester, and in any outcome
- unconventional loss, which may include adoption or surrogacy
- NICU care
- “rainbow” subsequent live birth
- full term, uncomplicated, live birth with no connection in any way to bereavement
- newborn nutrition and lactation options
- and more
Benefits of Birth Doula Support
Doulas supplement (not replace) medical support to provide the following:
- reduces overall Cesarean birth rate 50%
- reduces the length of labor 25%
- reduces Pitocin use 40%
- reduces the need for forceps delivery 40
- reduces requests for epidural pain relief 60% (source)
Benefits of Bereavement Doula Support
As an SBD Doula, I support you. I do. No matter what.
Connect with Your SBD® Doula!
You can view our listing of credentialed stillbirthday doulas, and interview one today. Hiring your local SBD doula for your upcoming, joyous and beautiful birth experience is a great way to support the families in your community who endure the devastation of pregnancy and infant loss and utilize the services of your SBD doula, who often provides such service in your community for a dramatically sliding scale or an entirely pro-bono volunteer basis.