Under the prayerful counsel of Hearts 4 Africa, we are desiring to provide SBD® doulas with valuable professional experience and opportunities to learn from the incredible staff and community at Hearts 4 Africa. Over time, it is our desire to establish additional locations that we can learn from and be a support to.
This is a tentative outline that is currently under review
Details of provided information
- Pre-departure logistics support and preparation
- Volunteer Manual
- Fundraising information and resources
- Modest accommodation within volunteer quarters
- Ongoing mentoring and support from Hearts 4 Africa in-country staff throughout the volunteer process
- A lasting and deep connection to a wonderful community of staff, interns, volunteers, board members and many others all over the world
Basic Qualifications & Skills
- SBD® credential
- Desire to support the existing medical staff of Hearts 4 Africa, not participate in direct medical service delivery
- Desire to attend on-site doula training workshop (to enhance your skills and the skills of the locals)
- Ability to be flexible, patient and respectful
- Deep passion for women’s health and empowerment
- Willingness to relocate to Iganga, Uganda for minimum of 2 weeks
- Strong cultural awareness and ability to live in a rural and rustic setting
- Experience working in low resource areas or cross cultural experience an asset
- Agreement with, or respectful recognition of, the underpinning biblical values of the opportunity*
*Within the inspiration of I DOULA MISSIONS is a belief that having this strong foundation is important in instilling a sustainable hope long after we’ve departed. If you cannot respectfully recognize this underpinning, there are other, wonderful opportunities to travel and serve as a doula. Shanti Uganda, which helped us in seeing the outlining of some of the structure of our program, can be one such incredible resource to you.
- Volunteers will be responsible for contributing a $600CAD/week placement fee
- A non-refundable deposit of $500CAD is needed to reserve your spot in Hearts 4 Africa Volunteer quarters. The remaining balance ($1200CAD) must be paid one month before arrival in Uganda.
- Your fees go directly toward supporting maternal health programs and ensuring your volunteer placement is successful.
- Connect with us on how to raise funds in support of I DOULA MISSIONS before you go.
- We’re looking at a prospective Day Training in Africa option.
Complete Volunteer Application
- please return soon or use our contact form, for the volunteer application